London Olympic Stadium
The London Stadium was built for the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, and known at the time as the Olympic Stadium. It is located within the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park at Stratford, London, England, at Marshgate Lane in the Lower Lea Valley, 6 miles (10 km) east of Central London. It has a capacity for sporting events of 66,000.
For the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, the stadium hosted the track and field events and the opening and closing ceremonies. After the Olympics, the stadium was renovated as a multi-purpose stadium. It is now used as the home ground for the West Ham United Football Club.
Events Held at the London Stadium
Here are just some of the recent major events that have been held at the London Stadium:
- 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics track and field events and the opening and closing ceremonies
- 2015 several Rugby World Cup matches
- 2017 IAAF World Championships in Athletics
- 2017 World Para Athletics Championships
- more UK stadiums
- Olympic Games stadiums
- All stadiums list
- Top 10 largest stadiums in the world
- sport in the UK