Topend Sports Logo

What do you call a chin-up?

The test in which you hang from an overhead bar, then pull your body up so that the chin is over over the bar height, can be called either a chin-up or pull-up. The bar can be grasped using either an overhand grip (palms facing away from the body) or underhand grip (palms facing towards the body). Some sources use the term chin-up only for describing the test when the underhand grip is used. On this website, we have used mostly pull-up, but the terms pull-up and chin-up are sometimes used interchangeably. We won't get into a discussion about whether it should be 'chinup', 'chin-up' or 'chin up'!

I have given you four choices in this poll, what you call it should be covered by one of these.

Is it a pull-up or chin-up?

A chin-up is ONLY when
an underhand grip is used
A chin-up is ONLY when
an overhand grip is used
I ALWAYS call it a chin-up,
no matter what grip
I ALWAYS call it a pull-up,
no matter what grip

Disclaimer: These polls are not scientific, and only reflect the opinion of visitors to this website who have chosen to participate.

Related Pages

send us a comment Any comments, suggestions, or corrections? Please let us know.

Testing Extra

We have over 400 fitness tests listed, so it's not easy to choose the best one to use. You should consider the validity, reliability, costs and ease of use for each test. Use our testing guide to conducting, recording, and interpreting fitness tests. Any questions, please ask or search for your answer.

Polls Extra

Current featured poll: Favorite Olympic Sport

Check out the other polls in the sections on Fitness Testing, Fitness, Sports and the Olympics.

 → How to Cite