Heroines are also called referred to as Female Heroes or Sheroes, while sometimes the word hero is not gender based and refers to both males and female (as sometimes done here). Whatever they are called, they the female sporting heroes deserved to be recognized and below is some information about some of the greatest.
Heroes in the world of sport are mostly males, though many women sports people deserve hero status, and inspire other women to participate in sport. I have designed my own hero rating system to give each hero a rating based on five criteria, from which we get our Super Heroes. Only a few females are listed so far, with Billie Jean King rated highest so far. You can rate these heroines:
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias (Golf)
- Billie Jean King (Tennis)
- Serena Williams (Tennis)
- Venus Williams (Tennis)
- Danica Partrick (IndyCar)
Is your female hero not listed here? Then suggest her.
- Tennis: Steffi Graf, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova.
- Golf - Annika Sorenstam, Michelle Wie, Nancy Lopez.
- Track and Field - Wilma Rudolph (considered the fastest woman in the world in the 1960s, competed in 1956 and 1960 Olympic Games), Cathy Freeman (Australian Aboriginal 400m runner, winner of gold medal in Sydney 2000), Jackie Joyner-Kersee (won 3 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronze medals over 4 consecutive Olympic Games), Florence Griffith Joyner (Flo Jo).
- Soccer - Mia Hamm.
- Figure Skating - Sonja Henie.
- Gymnastics - Nadia Comaneci.
- Speed Skating - Bonnie Blair.
Book: Heroines of Sport: The Politics of Difference and Identity
This book by Jennifer Hargreaves discusses the ways in which the participation of women in sport across the world is tied to their sense of difference and identity. The book focuses on five groups of women whose stories have not been previously discussed in the area of women's sports and female heroism: South African women, Muslim women from the Middle East; Aboriginal women from Australia and Canada; and lesbian women and disabled women world-wide.
- Discussion about the Greatest Female Athletes of all Time
- Hero Ratings