Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation ( PNF) stretching is currently the fastest and most effective way known to increase static-passive flexibility. PNF stretching is not really a type of stretching but is a technique of combining passive stretching and isometric stretching.
- You move into the stretch position so that you feel the stretch sensation
- Your partner holds the limb in this stretched position
- You then push against your partner by contracting the antagonistic muscles for 6 to 10 seconds and then relax. During the contraction your partner aims to resist any movement of the limb.
- Your partner then moves the limb further into the stretch until you feel the stretch sensation
- Go back to 2. (repeat this procedure 3 or 4 times before the stretch is released.)