Muscles Stretched: pectoralis major, minor and deltoid anterior.
- Stand tall with your feet comfortably apart.
- Bend your arm at right angles, and place the elbow and hand against a vertical wall.
- Turn your body and feet away from the wall, so that your elbow is behind you, no longer out to the side.
- Press your shoulder forward, until you only feel a stretch in the front chest and no pain or pinching anywhere in the shoulder.
- Hold this stretch.
- Keep shoulder down and relaxed throughout the stretch
- You should feel the stretch across the front of your chest.
- Raising the elbow higher or lower changes the stretch.
- You will need to repeat this for each side of the body.
- See stretching guidelines for further instructions
- Complete stretching list
- See also tests to Measure Flexibility
- See all flexibility images in the Stretching Exercises Clipart Image Collection