Cooling Down - Recovery After Sport
by Michael Wood (physiotherapist)
There are many things an athlete can do after exercise to aid in their recovery. This page provides tips on how to, and why you should perform a cool down.
Why Cool Down?
- Helps body recover from exercise.
- Aids the heart rate to return to pre-exercise levels.
- Prevents venous pooling of blood post-exercise.
- Helps to decrease the build up of waste products in the muscle after exercise.
- May aid in the prevention of post-exercise muscle soreness.
Cooling Down Principles
- Begin with 5-15 minutes of light running.
- Followed by 5-10 minutes static stretching (no dynamic stretches). Target the main muscle groups.
- Make sure you drinks fluids after sport - to rehydrate and refuel.