Saarland at the Olympics
A separate team from Saar participated at the Games only once, in 1952. Saar existed from 1947 to 1956 in the Saarland, a part of Western Germany that was occupied in 1945 by France. They did not win any medals. In 1956 Saarland was in the process of joining the German National Olympic Committee, and was allowed to join the United Team of Germany for the 1956 Games. Saarland rejoined Germany in 1957.
- Saarland region has along history of coal mining, and the Saarland donated a miner's safety lamp in which the flame of the torch relay of the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki could be carried safely aboard airplanes.
- Canoeist Therese Zenz finished 9th in the canoe race at the 1952 Olympics, held on the open Baltic Sea (a new experience since she came from a land-locked country)
- List of all countries that have participated at the Olympic Games.
- Berlin Olympic Games 1936
- Munich Olympic Games 1972.
- About Sport in Germany