The World Handball Championship, hosted by the International Handball Federation, is played every two years, for men and women in separate tournaments.
The World Men's Handball Championships was first held in 1938 in Germany. There was a break of 16 years until the next event, held in Sweden in 1954.
The World Women's Handball Championships was first held in 1957.
Only four teams participated in the first championship for both men and women, this number has grown to the present 24 which was introduced in 1995.
The competition has been dominated by European countries, France having won the most men's tournaments.
- 2019 Men's World Championships, Germany & Denmark
- 2019 Women's World Championships, Japan
- 2021 Men's World Championships, Egypt
- 2021 Women's World Championships, Spain
- 2023 Men's World Championships, Poland and Sweden
- 2023 Women's World Championships, Denmark / Norway / Sweden
- Learn more about the sport of Handball.
- Read about other major world sporting events.
- sporting events calendar