Hockey is one of the core sports of the Commonwealth Games. It appeared on the Commonwealth Games program for the first time in 1998, and has been on the program ever since.
- The Commonwealth Games Hockey competition is run according to the rules of the International Hockey Federation (FIH)
- Some of the world's best hockey teams partake in the Commonwealth Games, such as Australia, England, and Malaysia.
- The competition format consists of two pools of five teams playing each other in a round-robin tournament, with the two leading teams in each pool advancing to the finals.
- In 1998, the Men’s Hockey semi-final between Australia and England was a memorable match with two overtimes and a sudden death required before Australia was victorious over England. Australia went on to win Gold with a victory over Malaysia.
- Australia has won all gold medals in the men's event (1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018 and 2022).
- Read more information about the sport of Hockey
- See the list of Commonwealth Games sports
- Australia at the Commonwealth Games