Tiger Woods: Golf
ldrick "Tiger" Woods (born December 30, 1975 in Cypress, California) is a professional golfer, considered by many to be the greatest golfer of all time. He has won 15 Majors, behind Jack Nicklaus who achieved 18 victories during his career. In 2009 Woods' extramarital affairs spectacularly became public knowledge, and since then it has been a battle for him to regain the respect of the sporting public. He has also battled with back injuries throughout his career.
Greatest Sporting Achievements
- Won U.S. Junior Amateur three times also (1991, 92, 93)
- Won the U.S. Amateur three times (1994, 95, and 96)
- Masters 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2019
- U.S. Open 2000, 2002, 2008
- The Open Championship 2000, 2005, 2006
- U.S. PGA 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007
- He is only the second player to achieve 3 career grand slams (the other is Jack Nicklaus)
Why Is He So Good?
Tiger Woods was known to put in more hours of practice than his competitors, and had a focus on athleticism in a time when physical training for golfers was unknown. Woods has a powerful swing, his long drives giving him a distinct advantage. In addition to this, putting, especially under pressure, is possibly his greatest asset.
- His parents are Earl and Kultida Woods. Tiger is their only child. His father Earl died in 2006.
- Tiger has two half-brothers, Earl Jr.(1955), Kevin (1957), and one half-sister Royce (1958) from the 18 year marriage of Earl Woods and his first wife, Barbara Woods Gary.
- Tiger was married to Elin Nordegren, a Swedish model. They married on October 5, 2004, and they have two children together. They divorced in 2010.
What You May Not Know
- Tiger. He was nicknamed "Tiger" after a Vietnamese soldier who was a friend of his father in Vietnam.
- His father Earl Woods was half black, one-quarter American Indian and one-quarter Chinese. His mother Kultida is half Thai, one-quarter Chinese and one-quarter white. He refers to his ethnic make-up as Cablinasian (a portmanteau of Caucasian, Black, American-Indian, and Asian), a term he made up himself.
- Tiger putted against Bob Hope on the "Mike Douglas Show" at age 2, shot 48 for nine holes at age 3 and was featured in Golf Digest at age 5.
- Eldrick attended Western High School.
- He was a student at Stanford University, but dropped out to become a professional golfer in his junior year.
- He turned pro in 1996.
- His first tournament as a pro was on August 29, 1996 at the Greater Milwaukee Open, in which he tied for 60th place.
- His first win was the Los Vegas Invitational in which he defeated Davis Love III in sudden death.
- Tiger is a Buddhist.
Was he a legend?
Do you agree with Tiger Woods being a legend of golf?
How would you rate their greatness? (from good to 'the best')
- Hero profile of Tiger Woods
- Is Tiger the best ever?
- Is Tiger still your hero?
- More legendary Golf players
- About the sport of Golf