Gary Player (born November 1, 1935) is a South African golfer who won major championships including the Masters, the U.S. Open, the British Open and the PGA. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest golfers in the history of the sport. Player was only 29 when he won the 1965 U.S. Open and is the only non-American to win four majors. In over 6 decades, Gary Player won a total of 165 tournaments.
Greatest Sporting Achievements
Gary Player is best remembered for winning the Masters three times in 1961, 1974 and 1978; the US Open in 1965; The Open Championship in 1959, 1968 and 1974; PGA Championship in 1962 and 1972. He was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1974, became the PGA Tour leading money winner in 1961 and was awarded the PGA Tour Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012. Gary Player was honored with the South Africa Tour Order of Merit from 1976 to 1977 and 1979 to 1980.
Why Is He So Good?
Gary Player is the most successful international golfer of all time. He is renowned for his golfing achievements and dedication, an inflexible perfectionist with immaculate set of values, strict regime of physical condition and condition and persistence on quality. Player is the first modern international golfer who traveled the world from his earliest days as a pro.
What You May Not Know
- Gary Player holds the record for most times playing in The Masters with 52 tournaments.
- He was the first “international” golfer to gain popularity, someone who isn’t American or European.
- Player’s business interest includes real estate, charities and foundations, academies, golf course designs, stud farm, wine, licensing, events, apparel and memorabilia.
- He was nicknamed Mr. Fitness, Black Knight and International Ambassador of Golf.
- Gary Player as a golf course architect built more than 325 design projects throughout the world.
Was he a legend?
Do you agree with Gary Player being a legend of Golf?
How would you rate their greatness? (from good to 'the best')