Rounders is game that is played between two teams with a bat and ball, the sport on which game of baseball is based. Rounders is popular in Ireland and England. It is a game that involves striking and fielding by the opponent team. There are a number innings in which one team does the batting while other does the fielding, and in the next inning it is vice versa.
The earliest reference suggests that the game was first played in 1744. In 1884, the rules were first formalized in Ireland by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA). Later the rules were formalized in Great Britain, where the game is regulated by Rounders England. The rules of the game differ in both the places.
The bowler bowls the ball while the batter strikes it. Nina fielders are allowed in the field at a time. As the batter leaves a post, each runner at his post can run to the next posts. If a post runner is standing at a post, he canned be declared as out. If a batting team is able to complete a circuit without being declared out then a rounder is scored. If the fielder catches the ball, then the batter is declared out. The batter is also declared out if he reaches a base that is already stumped or the batter runs while the bat is dropped.
- Brännboll — a Scandinavian game which has similarities to rounders, but with no pitcher.
- British Baseball — a bat-and-ball game played in Wales and England similar to rounders.
- Baseball — a bat and ball game in which the aim is to hit the ball and score runs by running around four bases.
- Softball — a sport like baseball though the ball is pitched underhand, played mostly by women. Variations include fatspitch and slowpitch.
- Lapta — a Russian traditional bat and ball game
- Pesapallo — a Finnish variation of Baseball, the major difference is that the ball is pitched vertically.
- Gaelic games, the traditional sports played in Ireland organised by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), include Gaelic Football, Hurling, Rounders and Gaelic Handball.
- Complete list of sports
- Sport in Ireland
- The Encyclopedia of Sports