The Sport of Darts
Darts is a throwing game in which small missiles are thrown at a target, which is called a dartboard. Aside from being a competitive sport, darts is also a pub game that is popular across the United Kingdom and Europe.
The game of darts can be played by both men and women, there are no restrictions on women playing against men. There are a lot of different games that can be played on a dartboard, but dart competitions usually involve a game in which the player throws three darts per visit to the board.
Hitting the center circle (a bullseye) scores 50, the larger center circle scoring 25. Hitting each segment scores the points indicated around the board. Hitting the outermost ring scores double points of that segment, and middle ring triple points. The goal is to reduce a fixed score, commonly 501 or 301, to zero.
Dart games are usually played between two people, but sometimes teams of two can play.
Other variations of darts which are played around the world are: American darts, archery darts, audio darts, cricket, dartball, fives, halve it, killer, lawn darts, shanghai, and ranger.
The World Professional Dart Championship is organized every year, it usually held on winter, around Christmas or New Year.
- Dartchery — a combination of darts and archery, using bows and arrows typically used for archery, but the target is a dartboard.
- Slingshot — stand 10m away from a target and score points for accurately hitting a target.
- Axe Throwing — competitors throw axes at a circular target.
- Knife Throwing — like archery, the knife is thrown towards a target.
- Target Golf — players hit a golf ball at a large net, scoring points based on where the ball lands.
- Target Archery — a popular Archery competition where competitors shoot at stationary circular targets from different distances.