Up until recently, one of the few major world sports that had resisted the use of high-tech assistance was soccer (football). It made sense that replays could be used to adjudicate on off-side decisions, whether a ball passes over the goal line, and clarify penalty decisions, with an off-field referee communicating with the umpires on the field using wireless technology. The Video Assistant Referee (VAR) is now in place (see technology in soccer). Before then, we asked if you thought soccer (football) should use a video referee. Here are the results of this now-closed poll.
Should Soccer Use A Video Referee?
Disclaimer: These polls are not scientific, and only reflect the opinion of visitors to this website who have chosen to participate.
- About technology in soccer, including goal line technology
- More soccer polls
- About the sport of soccer
- List of Sports and Fitness Polls
Commenting is closed on this page, though you can read some previous comments below which may answer some of your questions.
- Football is business not sport (2015)
yes because then all the fat armchair supporters who never quite made it further than their high school team will have no argument over what has just happened... and everyone will realise that everyone who obsesses over football talks trash and they may start appreciating a proper sport like rugby... following this they may learn some manners and discipline and learn to sit together and drink together before during and after the games without feeling the need for violence. nuff said
- Yes then stuff like mani being sent off against real madrid won't happen (from Kieran, Mar 2013)
- I think if it bring advantages more than disadvantage.then so be it. anyway futher argument can be prevented. well they say to prevent is better than to cure. i beg to propose. (from NEINA, June 2012)
- Bring it on! the game needs it , Fifa are clueless. (from tj, May 2012)
- Refereeing in football, for one reason or another has failed to keep up with professionalism of a game that is too vulnerable to rule bending by players and others. It is clear from so many examples over many years from the very highest level of the game. All is good if video can be linked up to accurate computer (perhaps addition human) analysis to not only give correct and quick goal line decisions but those other issues that pop up too, namely offside, 'professional fouls', diving and critical hand ball decisions. Then again perhaps this sport is so corrupt that some dudes will even work around this attempt to make the game fair 'like bribe the video computer !' Oh well - then the clowns carry on regardless. (from Paully, April 2012)
- Yes, bacause the referee can't see everything and something everything happends really fast that even in the t.v. replays is hard to make a decision. (from Edwin, April 2012)
- People should definitely should introduce video ref. because clubs could get religated and lose millions of pounds, players get sacked and so do coaches. (from Flynn, April 2012)
- From doing a project at college, I have had to look at various other sources and by summing them all up it seems that most sources are in favor of some sort of video analysis for decisions, but only goal line as other technology would disrupt the game, so goal line technology yes but only that. (from P3AR50N, March 2012)
- Video REF. is 100% needed in soccer in order 2 know d actual winner and loser ... so there won't be any OJORO (from Femi, Feb 2012)
- I think this modern game if an absolute shambles and when my great great great grandfather faught for this country he did not fight for use bunch off over paid yobs to wreck our games with cheating and scandles. my football team seem toget beat all the time (from jonny knowles, Dec 2011)
- The World Cup is a prime example for goal tech to be used (from lampard, June 2011)
- Refs can't get everything right (from Alex, Mar 2011)
- I think yes because Lampard's goal scored against nadeland didn't count (from habib, Mar 2011)
- I said no! let's keep soccer as it is (from Maradona, Dec 2010)
- Anybody who watched the 2010 world cup should be voting yes (CAT, Nov 2010).
- If you voted "no" then you are crazy (Tom, Nov 2010).