Should baseball and softball be included back into the Olympics?
This is an archive of a poll we ran on Topend Sports in 2012-2016. It is not needed any more as both baseball and softball were selected to return to the Olympics for the 2020 Tokyo Games.
Baseball was a demonstration sport at the Olympics for the most part of the 20th century, becoming an official Olympic sport in 1992. This inclusion was only short lived, as it was dropped as a sport after the 2008 Games. There are many who wanted it back on the program, while others thought that it should never have been there in the first place.
Overwhelmingly respondents to this poll wanted baseball and/or softball back, and in 2016 they got their wish.
|Yes, bring them both back!||498||66%|
|No, leave them out||127||17%|
|Yes, but just Softball||71||9%|
|Yes, but just Baseball||50||7%|
Disclaimer: This poll was not scientific and reflected only the opinion of visitors to this website who chose to participate.
- more baseball polls
- More about components of fitness
- top ranking sports for athleticism components
- List of Sports and Fitness Polls
- Other fitness polls
- suggest a poll
Commenting is closed on this page, though you can read some previous comments below which may answer some of your questions.
- I have to wonder how much of this is the IOC trying to head off the NBAs attempts to pull some of their star power. With the NBA threatening to place an age cap on its players, obviously in an attempt to keep big names/contracts out, and now the IOC has chosen to reframe the issue with baseball as one of pros. Basketball has less international appeal than baseball, and you have to think without the dream team if anyone would watch it. On the other hand, would NBC even consider renewing its contract without baseball or basketball? As for non sports, some of the shooting sports are pretty bad. I m hunter enough to agree that aiming and firing a rifle from a standing position is really hard, but with the equipment they allow it's really about who has the best calibrated rifle stand. (from JakePetke, Mar 2013)
- I love softball and this sport is becoming extremely popular today I'd love nothing more but to see this sport back in Olympics! baseball too ... I'm definitely not going to watch any of the other sports that bid to be in the 2020 games like golf ? (from katie Haines, Feb 2013)
- I am only 14, but I know that I am going to go to the Olympics. Softball is my dream because there is always room for improvement. Please I want nothing more than softball to come back even if I cannot play. (from Danielle, 11 Aug 2012)
- I love softball with my whole heart, I know I am only 14 but ever since I was 4 years old I wanted to be an Olympian. Believe me, softball is an incredible sport involving both mental and physical. I know so many girls that could do so good, but they stop because there really is not that great of a future in softball ever since they took softball out of the Olympics. Please reconsider putting these sports back in and bring back the dream I have always had<3 (from Madison Thiele, Aug 2012)
- Baseball/Softball any sport that produces a human physical endurance should be allowed. I thought when I played basketball there was no other sport that could use every muscle. I was playing other sports that the next day I couldn't believe how sore I was. I think we need all sports. I would love to see "Tug of War" (from Patrick, July 2012)
- My name is Sarah May Martin and I am 15 years old. My all time goal in life was to participate in an Olympic Softball game for USA. I have played since I was 4 years old and finding out that my goal can no longer be reached is very devastating. I pray they reconsider removing both sports from the Games. (from Sarah May Martin, July 2012)
- Softball is my favorite sport to watch and i am very disappointed to see it dropped. Bring it back! (from Billy, June 2012)
- I am an avid baseball and softball fan. I only watch certain sports that are held in the Olympics and baseball and softball are included in my short list. The enjoyment I get out of watching both sports encouraged me to actually more of the Olympics. In the poll I saw that some people did not like to have baseball/softball in the Olympics at all yet basketball is still included. I enjoy watching basketball as well but for me as far as being included in the Olympics there is no difference between basketball and baseball/softball. Baseball and softball should be included. (from Susan, June 2012)