Table Tennis is a Commonwealth Games sport. It has been on the program since 2002, though it was a demonstration sport twenty years earlier in 1982.
- The Table Tennis competition has eight medals on offer in the men’s and women’s singles, doubles and team events.
- Singles and doubles events will involve a knockout draw, with the best players progressing to the gold medal match. In the team competition each competing nation will play a round-robin format before the best teams contest the medal rounds.
1982 Table Tennis Demonstration
Only two teams participated in the table tennis demonstration in Brisbane 1982 - Australia and Hong Kong. Each team comprised three players, two men and one woman. The Australian team included Paul Pinkewich, Bob Tuckett, and Denise Millikan. The Hong Kong team included Chiu Man Kuen and Vong Iu Veng.
The competition was held in the Chandler Badminton Stadium, and included seven matches, starting with two men's singles, then the women's singles, men's doubles, mixed doubles, and finishing with the two reverse men's singles.
(source: Table Tennis Newsletter, issued by the Australian Table Tennis Association, Vol. 22 no.4, October 1982)
- See the list of Commonwealth Games sports
- Table tennis at the Olympics
- About the sport of table tennis
- Demonstration sports at the Commonwealth Games
- 1982 Commonwealth Games