Laureus World Sports Awards
The Laureus World Sports Awards have been presented annually since 2000 to sports men and women who have been outstanding in sport during the previous year.
It is a two-stage selection process - first a selection panel of the world's leading sports editors, writers and broadcasters from over 80 countries vote to create a shortlist of nominations in each category, then the members of the Laureus World Sports Academy vote by secret ballot to select the winners from these lists. In the first year, 2000, there were only 3 nominees in each category, which increased to 5 from 2001-2003, and it has been 6 nominees since then.
- Laureus World Sportman of the Year
- Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year
- Laureus World Team of the Year
- Laureus World Breakthrough of the Year
- Laureus World Comeback of the Year
- Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability - overseen by the Executive Committee of the International Paralympic Committee.
- Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year - chosen by a panel of the world's leading alternative sports journalists
- Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award - selected by the Founding Patrons and the Academy.
- Laureus Sport for Good Award - selected by the Founding Patrons and the Academy.
- Laureus Spirit of Sport (since 2005) - selected by the Founding Patrons and the Academy and presented at the Laureus Academy's discretion to people who have made an outstanding contribution to society through sport.
- Laureus Exceptional Achievement Award - since 2013