Walking around a sporting field is not normally considered appropriate, but there are some sports in which walking is encouraged. There are a couple of popular sports which have been adapted to allow older and less mobile people to continue. The overall game pace has been slowed, contact reduced and only walking is allowed. These sports are designed to be inclusive, allowing everyone to participate regardless of physical fitness, age or previous experience in the sport.
- Walking Netball — a version of netball in which players are only allowed to walk during game play, developed for older people to keep active.
- Walking Rugby — a variation of rugby in which players can only walk, developed for older people to keep active.
- Walking Football — a version of association football in which players are only allowed to walk during game play, developed for older people to keep fit.
Sports Involving Walking
- Race Walking — competitors attempt to outrace one another without running.
- Pedestrianism — a 19th-century form of competitive walking usually over long distances (no longer held).