In this experiment, you will be able to determine the height of building using a bowling ball dropped from the top. You will need a bowling ball and several stop watches.
- Weigh the bowling ball
- Drop the bowling ball from the top of the building.
- Record the time of free fall with several stopwatches, from the instant of release until impact with the ground. Determine the average of the times.
- Determine the height (x) of the building using the bowling ball's free fall time, where x = g*t2/2
- Calculate the velocity of the bowling ball upon impact, using v = g*t where t is the time in seconds after it is dropped.
- Calculate the momentum of the bowling ball upon impact, using p = m*v