Underwater orienteering is like a combination of underwate diving and orienteering. The sport dates back to the 1950’s in the Soviet Union. Nowadays, this is played in Europe.
The competition is usually held in freshwater lakes. The competition usually involves obstacles; the main objective is the navigation techniques used by swimmers to go through these obstacles. The challenges can be done individually or by teams of two or three. The equipment used include diving mask, fins, open circuit scuba set, compass, distance meter, and safety buoy.
- Orienteering — participants find their way to various checkpoints across rough country with the aid of a map and compass, the winner being the one with the lowest elapsed time.
- Underwater Photography — teams of competitors using scuba gear and using a digital underwater camera dive and photograph the same saltwater ocean sites at the same time over a two-day period, with the submitted digital images assessed to find the winner.
- Sport Scuba Diving — aspects of scuba diving are performed in a swimming pool.
- List of Underwater Sports
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports