Nine-ball Pool is a form of pool that is played with nine object balls on a table that has six pockets. It is a fast-paced game which is exciting to both play and watch. The game originated in the United States and has spread to several other countries.
The nine object balls used are numbered 1 through 9. The objective of the game is to pocket the 9-ball. The major rule in the game is that the player can directly strike only the lowest numbered ball on the table, failing which results in a foul. The player who pockets the 9-ball legally is the winner of the rack. The other object balls do not carry any points. A player can pocket eight object balls and still lose if the opponent pockets just the 9-ball.
At the start of each rack, the objects balls are arranged in a diamond shape with 1-ball in the front and the 9-ball in the middle, the eight at the back (unlike the incorrect imnage above). A coin toss decides which player breaks the first frame, and thereafter players alternate to break the subsequent frames. The player who wins a predetermined number of frames first wins the match.
Currently nine-ball is the only major form of pool played at professional tournaments, and it receives a lot of TV coverage.
- Pocket Billiards — also known as Pool, it is the name for a range of cue sports played on a table with six pockets along the rails, into which the main aim is to hit balls into the pockets.
- Eight-Ball — Played with 15 balls, seven colored, seven striped and a black eight-ball. The objective is to pocket all balls of one type and the black eight-ball. It is the most popular type of pool played at a recreational level.
- Kelly Pool — type of pocket billiard game played on a standard pool table, with fifteen numbered markers which player select from.
- Snooker — played on a table with six pockets. It is played using a cue and 22 snooker balls: one white cue ball, 15 red balls and six balls of different colors. Points are awarded for using the cue ball to pot the red and colored balls.
- Straight pool — a type of pocket billiards game in which a player is required to call which object ball they are going to pocket and to which pocket.
- See Cue Sports (Billiards)
- Complete list of sports
- The Encyclopedia of Sports