James Nathaniel “Jim” Brown (born February 17, 1936, died May 18, 2023) is a former American National Football League player who’s been elected to his sports Hall of Fame, worked as a model and an actor. He is known for his exceptional record-setting nine-year career as a running back for the Cleveland Browns of the NFL. In his senior year in high school, he averaged an astounding 14.9 yards per carry. Brown dominated both basketball and football but he was also a runner and a lacrosse player. He earned 13 letters playing the four sports and attended Syracuse University. Jim Brown is considered to be the greatest professional athletes in the history of the United States.
Greatest Sporting Achievements
Brown was selected with the sixth overall pick in the National Football League draft in 1957. He lead the league in rushing yards with 942, on his way to capture the league’s Rookie of the Year honors. After the next seven seasons, he became the standard-bearer for all NFL running backs. Brown holds the record for total seasons leading the NFL in all-purpose yards (1,527 yards in 1958; 1,329 yards in 1959; 1,257 yards in 1960; 1,408 in 1960; 1,863 yards in 1963; 1,446 yards in 1964 and 1,544 yards in 1965) and is the only rusher in football history to average over 100 yards per career game. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971.
Why Was He So Good?
Jim Brown was a super receiver of the backfield; he caught 262 passes for 2,499 yards and 20 touchdowns and 628 yards for returning kickoffs. He accomplished all these records despite being young of age and for the sport.
What You May Not Know
- After the 1966 season, he announced his retirement and focused on a movie career. He first appeared in “Rio Conchos” in 1964, “The Dirty Dozen”, and “Dark of the Sun” in 1967 and 40 more movies. The latest movie he starred in is “Draft Day” which was released in 2014.
- He was only 30 years old when he stepped out of football.
- Brown was accused of assault throughout his entire adult life and in 1999; he was convicted of smashing the window of his wife’s car. He served a six-month jail sentence in 2002.
- Jim Brown’s fully supported different African-American causes. He helped create the Negro Industrial Economic Union and started the Amer-I-Can program, where they help young gang members become better.
Was he a legend?
Do you agree with Jim Brown being a legend of American Football?
How would you rate their greatness? (from good to 'the best')
- More American Football players
- Athlete Database home
- About the sport of American Football
- Who is the greatest athlete ever?