Bucket Squats at Home
This test is part of the home fitness program, fitness you can do at home with minimal equipment.
Equipment Required: 2 x buckets
- Fill each bucket with water to an appropriate level (mark the bucket so you can replicate the same level next time).
- Position your feet flat on the floor, about shoulder width apart (toes slightly turned out), with a bucket in each hand.
- Keep looking straight ahead.
- Slowly descend until the thighs are parallel to the floor, hold for a second, then push back up to the starting position
- Maintain the body in an upright position and avoid leaning forward.
- Always inhale your breath on the way down, and exhale as you stand up.
Key points to remember
- Use a nice fluid motion and don’t bounce at the bottom.
- Keep the abdominals tight and the lower back straight and your head up, looking straight ahead.
- Instead of a bucket of water you can also increase the workload by holding weights in your hands, such as a shopping bag with tinned food in it.
- If the bucket technique is too hard, you can do it without any weights and hold onto something to give you some support, i.e. a desk or chair.
- Increase the intensity by pausing for a longer period in the lowered position
- see also the similar home Wall Squat Exercise