Sport in Switzerland
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Switzerland. With its cold climate, winter sports are most popular in Switzerland, though clearly the most popular sport is football (soccer). See also the list the most popular internet searches for "sports" in Switzerland.
Major sports of Switzerland
- Schwingen - a type of wrestling
- Hornussen - the hornusser knocks a nut through the air with a long flexible rod
Swiss Sporting Success
- Switzerland's Alinghi sailing team was the first European team to win the America's Cup in 2003, and defended the title in 2007.
Famous Swiss Athletes
- Roger Federer (tennis)
- Martina Hingis (tennis)
- Stéphane Lambiel - two-time winner of the World Figure Skating Championships
Switzerland Sports trivia
- They first competed at the Olympic Games in 1896.
- The Winter Games in St Moritz were plagued with warm weather, slowing some events and even cancelling the 10,000-meter speed-skating race.
- In 1956, Switzerland participated in the equestrian events of the that were held in Stockholm in June, but did not attend the Melbourne Games later that year.
- Short-sighted Swiss center-forward Poldi Kielholz had to wear spectacles in matches of the 1934 finals. Despite his visual limitation, he scored three goals in two matches.
Switzerland at major events
- Switzerland at the Summer Olympics
- Switzerland at the Winter Olympics
- Switzerland at the FIFA World Cup
Past sporting events hosted in Switzerland
- 1928 Winter Olympic Games hosts St. Moritz
- 1948 Winter Olympic Games hosts St. Moritz
- 1954 FIFA World Cup Switzerland
- 2008 European Football Championships co-host.
- 2009 IIHF World Championship (for the 10th time)
Upcoming sporting events in Switzerland
Annual sporting events held in Switzerland
- The Swiss Cup - annual football (soccer) cup tournament since 1926 by the Swiss Football Association.
- Spengler Cup - annual ice hockey tournament held in Davos, since 1923, possibly the oldest invitational ice hockey tournament in the world.
Sporting Facilities in Switzerland
- Stade de Suisse Wankdorf - football stadium in Bern
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let me know.share this page: