Setting Effective Travel Fitness Goals
Provided by the Healthy Travel Network
I'm confident that many readers share itineraries similar to this:
- Tuesday morning: 7am flight from North Carolina to Phoenix
- Tuesday afternoon: Meet all afternoon with clients
- Tuesday evening: Dinner with clients
- Wednesday: All day client meeting
- Wednesday evening: Drive two hours to Tucson
- Thursday: All day client meeting
- Thursday evening: Drive two hours back to Phoenix
- Friday: All day flight back to North Carolina
For even the most dedicated among us, finding time for fitness on a schedule like this is extremely challenging. Planning and commitment are key factors in staying fit while you travel. Try these tips to achieve success.
- Define SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely.
- Be flexible within the constraints imposed by your travel schedule and logistics.
- Write your goals in your journal or email them yourself.
- When booking your hotel, call ahead to get details about the exercise facility.
- If no facility is available, plan alternative activities such as running, walking, or an in-room workout. Many hotels offer aerobic, yoga, and Pilates pay-per-view videos, so check the guide. Or, pack a resistance band in your suitcase for a great workout.
- When packing, select your workout gear according to the weather and activities that you've planned.
- On the outbound plane ride, review your goals.
- If you have time-based goals, schedule appointments with yourself on your calendar. Treat these appointments with the same respect as a customer meeting.
- Say "No" to co-workers or customers whose demands interfere with your goals.
- At the end of your trip, celebrate your success with a friend, co-worker, or family member.
- More about travel fitness
- Workouts that travel — how to stick with a workout program when away from home
- Sports Nutrition while traveling