World's Highest Paid Sports
The list of ESPN Top Salaries in Sports 2011 had baseball and boxing with the highest individual salary in that year. In another calculation described below, we analyzed the Forbes list of the highest-paid athletes from 1990-2010, and determined which sports were most prevalent on the lists. We found basketball ranked highest.
Forbes magazine has been publishing lists of the highest paid athletes since 1990. The athletes come from a range of sports, but which are the highest paid? We determined which sports were most prevalent on the Annual Forbes list of the highest-paid athletes in the world, by taking the results of all the top 10 lists and looking at the sport that the athlete is involved with instead of the athlete themselves. Only the data from 1990-2010 has been analyzed.
It Pays to Play Basketball
Although golfer Tiger Woods has been dominant on the top of the highest paid athlete lists recently, the dominance of Michael Jordan earlier on and several other basketballers who have also made the top 10 lists has ensured that basketball leads on this combined list. Even boxing and motorsports have had more sports people on the top 10 lists than golf. The ESPN Top Salaries in Sports 2011 has baseball and boxing on the top in terms of salary (they did not consider endorsements), with basketball 4th.
- The points for each year are derived from giving 10 points for a sport being on the top of a list, and one less for each rank below that (e.g. 1 point for being 10th on the list, and for ties all received the same points). Total earnings for each sport is also listed, which only includes athletes who made the top 10 list for each year. Total earnings are calculated based on money derived from salaries, bonuses, prize money, endorsements and licensing income.
- In 1995, Deion Sanders was listed under both American Football and Baseball, so his points were shared between these two sports.
- Only ten sports have been represented on the top paid athlete lists (the category of auto racing includes the disciplines of motoGP, NASCAR and F1).
- analysis of athlete rankings on highest paid lists.
- List of Highest paid Athletes Lists
- other world sport lists