Football Basic Rules
Here are some basic rules for the sport of Football, also known as soccer in many parts of the world, which is undoubtedly the world's most popular sport.
- A football match is played by two teams, with each allowed no more than 11 players on the field at any one time, one of whom is a goalkeeper.
- A match is played in two 45 minute halves.
- The game begins with the toss of a coin, and the winning captain decides which goal to defend or to take the first kick off.
- All players must use their feet head or chest to play the ball. Only the goalkeeper is allowed to use their hands, and only within their designated goal area.
- The aim of the game is to score a goal, which is achieved by kicking or heading the ball into the opposition team's goal.
- If the ball touches or crosses the side line, it is thrown back in by the team that was not the last to touch the ball.
- The game is controlled by a central referee, and two linesmen. They award free kicks and penalties when rules are broken. For continual breaking of rules or for a bad foul, the player may be sent off.
- Article: Basics of Soccer - more on the rules and how the game is played
- What is Futsal? a variation of soccer
- see also soccer terms
- other sports rules