Of the many different sports played around the world, there are some that are made up of combining two or more current sports to create a new sport, usually performed consecutively. See also Hybrid Sports.
Two Sports Combined
- Biathle — consists of swimming and running as part of a single race. It is usually over a shorter distance than the similar Aquathlon.
- Aquathlon — a continuous race involving swimming followed by running. It is usually over a shorter distance than the similar Biathle.
- Duathlon — similar to triathlon, running first, then cycling, then running again.
- Biathlon — a combination of cross-country skiing and rifle shooting.
- Ski Archery — involves skiing and shooting arrows at targets.
- Aquabike - a shortened version of triathlon, with no running leg. Athletes swim followed by cycling.
- Chess boxing – a hybrid sport which combines the sport of boxing with games of chess in alternating rounds.
Three Sports Combined
- Triathlon — a race consisting of three events, usually swimming, cycling, and running in consecutive order.
- Nordic Combined — a Winter Olympics sport in which athletes compete in a combined event of Cross-Country Skiing and Ski Jumping.
- Winter Triathlon — athletes compete in running, mountain biking and cross-country skiing.
- Triathle — a shortened version of the Modern Pentathlon, athletes compete in shooting, swimming and running events as a part of a single race.
Four Sports Combined
- Quadrathlon — an endurance sports event composed of the four individual disciplines of swimming, kayaking, cycling and running - also called quadriathlon.
- Racketlon — a combination sport, where players compete in the sports of table tennis, tennis, squash, and badminton.
- Ironman Surflifesaving — combines four major aspects of surflifesaving into a single race: swimming, board paddling, ski paddling, and beach running.
- Medley Swimming Relay — a swimming race in which teams of four race consecutively.
Five Sports Combined
- Modern Pentathlon — an event in the Olympics that comprises five events: fencing, 200m freestyle swimming, show jumping, and a combined event of pistol shooting and 3200m cross country run.
- Ancient Pentathlon - the ancient Olympic pentathlon was an athletic competition which consisted of five events, running, javelin throw, discus throw, long jump, and wrestling.
- Athletics Pentathlon - a no longer held event comprising long jump, javelin, 200-meter run, discus, and 1500-meter run
Many Sports Combined
- Heptathlon — a women's track and field multi-event comprising 7 events.
- Decathlon — track and field event comprising 10 events.
- Adventure Racing — an event combining two or more endurance disciplines, such as Orienteering, Cross-Country Running, Mountain Biking, Paddling and Climbing. It is also called Expedition Racing.