Sports for the Disabled
Here is a list of sports that have been created or modified for those with disabilities.
Team Sports for the Phyically Disabled
- Wheelchair Basketball - basically regular basketball played on a wheelchair.
- Wheelchair Rugby - a full contact indoor team sport conducted for players with disabilities.
- Wheelchair Rugby League - a version of rugby league football but played using a wheelchair.
- Wheelchair Tennis — a version of lawn tennis for those who have lower body disabilities.
- Wheelchair Curling — a variation of curling in which athletes with a disability affecting their lower limbs use wheelchair to play the sport.
- Wheelchair Dancing — all of the participants of a team perform dance routines while riding on a wheelchair.
- Powerchair Football - indoor football for people in wheelchairs.
- Power Hockey - ice hockey played on an electric wheelchair.
- Sledge Hockey - ice hockey on double-blade sledges for people with physical disabilities on the lower body.
- Paralympic Football - the adaptation of association football for disabled athletes.
- Sitting Volleyball - also known as sitting volleyball is for disabled athletes.
Team Sports for the Blind
- Goalball - a paralympic sport for blind athletes using a ball with bells.
- Torball - a team sport for the visually impaired with an inflated ball with bells inside. The aim is to throw the ball through the opponent´s goal line.
- Blind Cricket - a modified version of cricket with a larger ball with bells inside which is designed to be played by blind athletes.
- Showdown — a game for blind and visually impaired people similar to air hockey.
Team Sports for the Deaf
- Deaf Basketball - basketball which is played by the hearing imparied. Players use sign language to communicate with each other including the refs.
Track and Field Events for the Disabled
- Club Throw — a track and field disabled sports event, the objective is to throw a wooden club as far as possible.
- Softball Throw — a track and field discipline in which you throw the ball as far as possible, mostly used in competitions for disadvantaged groups as a substitute for other technical throwing events.
- Racerunning — a track and field racing sport for disabled athletes, in which they use a specially designed tricycle.
- Wheelchair Racing - a type of racing in which athletes with physical disabilities compete with the help of a wheelchair.
Individual Sports for the Disabled
- Wheelchair Fencing — a version of fencing in which disabled athletes fight with thin swords while sitting in wheelchairs which are tightly fastened to the floor.
- Paratriathlon — involves a 750 m swim, a 20 km bike with handcycles, bicycles or tandems with a guide, and a 5 km wheelchair or running race.
- Para-Cycling — cycle racing events using adaptations for disabled athletes, such as tandem bikes and hand-cycling.
- Para-Climbing — Sport Climbing for disabled athletes
- Boccia - a ball sport similar to bocce, bowls, and pentanque for athletes with physical disabilities.