Sport Psychology Factors of Success in Sports
There is a range of physical and mental components that contribute to successful performance in sports, and success requires the whole range of factors to come together and interact in the right way. For many sports fitness factors are most important, though the mental aspects are essential at the elite level.
Factors of Success
A large range of factors which are important for success in sport, both mental and physical, have been decided upon and can be seen on the factors of success page. Of the 15 listed, three components related to sport psychology were included in for a large survey of many sports. The three sports psychology factors that were considered to be the most important are listed below. We have combined the ratings for these three factors and created a list of the top sports which people consider these factors to be most important.
- Analytic and Tactical Ability — the ability of the mental system to evaluate and react to strategic situations (tactical ability).
- Motivation and Self Confidence — a motivated and focussed athlete, with a level of belief in themselves, often seen as arrogance in athletes.
- Coping with Pressure — the ability to stay focussed and perform up to expectations while under increasing pressure, and under changing conditions.
Other sport factors that may have a psychological link that did not make it on the final list included:
- Discipline and Focus
- Alertness and Concentration
- Adaptability - ability to adapt to conditions.
- dealing with setbacks
- Planning and Goal Setting
- You can rate each of the factors of success in sports for a range of sports and see a list of the top sports in which these factors are most important.