Equipment Required: barbell and weights, weight belt (optional)
- Stand with your feet flat on the floor and about shoulder width apart (toes slightly turned out)
- keep the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position.
- Slowly descend until the upper legs are parallel to the floor then push back up to the starting position
- Maintain the body in an upright position and avoid leaning forward.
Key points to remember
- Make sure to keep your weight back so that your knees don't extend past your toes.
- for beginners, you can perform the exercise with dumbbells (see squats with dumbbells) in each hand, or no weight at all (see squats at home or at the beach). This also reduces the loading on the back.
- read the article on Squats: You Don't Know Squat! A discussion on the technique of doing the squat exercise.
- see Exercises at home - the squat
- Free weights for sale in the fitness store
- squats at the beach
- squats with dumbbells
- squats during pregnancy
- Are squats bad for your knees? - the squat myth