Countries and Territories of Past Commonwealth Games
Here are some countries and territories that have been a part of the Commonwealth Games previously. See also the list of Commonwealth territories that may one day participate in the future.
Countries/Territories that have participated in the past
- Aden - 1962, then merged with South Arabia
- Hong Kong - competed on and off until 1994 before returning to China in 1997.
- Ireland - in 1930 a combined single Irish team.
- Irish Free State - competed in 1934 before the republic of Ireland was formed and left the Commonwealth.
- Malaya - attended 1950, 1958 and 1962, before joining with North Borneo, and Sarawak to form Malaysia.
- Newfoundland - attended in 1930 and 1934, then joined Canada in 1949.
- North Borneo - competed in 1958 and 1962, then joined with Malaya to form Malaysia.
- Rhodesia and Nyasaland - 1962, temporarily formed from Zambia, Zimbabwe and Nyasaland.
- St Kitts (Christopher) and Nevis and Anguilla - 1978, before separating into St Kitts and Nevis and Anguilla.
- Sarawak - competed in 1958 and 1962, then joined with Malaya to form Malaysia.
- South Arabia - competed in 1966. left the Commonwealth in 1968.
- Tanganyika - competed in 1962 before merging with Zanzibar to form Tanzania.
- The Gambia - withdrew from the Commonwealth in 2013.
- Zimbabwe - withdrew from the Commonwealth in 2003.
Here are names that have been used in the past by countries at the Commonwealth Games
- British Guiana - became Guyana in 1966.
- British Honduras - became Belize in 1973.
- Celon - became Sri Lanka in 1972.
- Gold Coast - became Ghana in 1957.
- Northern Rhodesia - became Zambia
- Saint Helena - since 2010 uses it's full name of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha.
- Southern Rhodesia - became Zimbabwe
- Western Samoa - became Samoa
Merging and Separating
- Malaya, North Borneo, Sarawak and Singapore federated as Malaysia in 1963. Two years later Singapore left the federation.
- Aden was merged into South Arabia
- Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949.
- Ireland became Irish Free State and Northern Ireland
- Rhodesia and Nyasaland - attended in 1962, formed from Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and Nyasaland (now Malawi).
- Saint Christopher and Nevis and Anguilla separated into St Kitts and Nevis and Anguilla.
- Tanganyika merged with Zanzibar in 1964 to became Tanzania.
- Alphabetical List of all Countries from the Commonwealth Games
- Commonwealth Territories that may participate in the future.