Video Analysis in Sports
Video has many applications in sports and science. Coaches and athletes are using the medium more and more to measure and correct technique, and to analyze team and individual performances. Video analysis software can also be used for gait analysis and biomechanics research, and in injury rehabilitation.
Team Performance Analysis
With the correct software, video of match play can become much more useful than simply re-watching the game. First it requires a technician to mark the video (in real time or after the game) with your chosen key points such as goals, errors, and specific plays, and also mark the involvement of each player. The coach or player then has ability to filter and see their chosen aspect of the game, such as all goals by a specific player, or errors by the opposing team. Game highlights can be quickly generated, and you have instant access to many aspects of performance.
Video analysis of technique is very useful for identifying and correcting problems with an athlete's technique. Things that can be measured and identified using video analysis include the following:
- angle of release of thrown implements
- ball release velocity and the arc of travel of the thrown implement.
- head and body position during technique performance.
- joint and segment angles and velocities.
- Simple methods for calculating speed and calculating distance using video.
- Best technique for capturing video footage
- Example of some video analysis software
- Using Video Analysis for Tenpin Bowling
- Biomechanics Home